Publisher's Weekly says of this book:
Kalafa, producer and director of the documentary Two Angry Moms, delves more deeply into the subject of school lunch, offering a step-by-step action plan for parents hoping to make changes in their child's school lunch room. The author explains how the project started, revealing that efforts to provide her daughter with healthy food at home were being "undermined" by unhealthy choices at school (according to the author, the school cafeteria may well be "a microcosm of American fake food culture"). Kalafa serves up some scary statistics, noting the link between childhood junk food and obesity, diabetes, and learning, behavioral, and other health problems, and soberly observing that "our children's life expectancy is now shorter than our own." Kids who buy lunch at school, she notes, don't do as well academically; better food means better grades. With plenty of convincing evidence in hand, she then urges parents to visit their children's lunch rooms, create partnerships with teachers, school staff, and the PTO or PTA, conduct surveys, audit the school food environment, create an updated school wellness policy, and take other steps toward change. Kalafa also provides plenty of positive examples of schools that have gone the extra mile, establishing farm to school and other innovative and nourishing programs. This meaty, practical offshoot of Kalafa's film will help parents turn anger into positive action. (Sept.)Wow, that sounds so San Francisco. Anyway, I've got a lovely trade paperback galley of this fine book to give away. All you have to do is post a comment below. Usual rules apply. Good luck to all!
The Usual Rules:
- The giveaway is open to anyone with a U.S. mailing address ('cause I'm footing the postage).
- To enter, all you need to do is post a comment below by Wednesday, September 7, 2011.
- At my discretion, if there are less than five respondents, I can cancel or extend the giveaway.
- Winner will be chosen by me with the help of a random number generator, and will be announced in the comments section of this thread.
- Please check back to see if you've won. If you have left a way to contact you, I will do so.
- The winner has one week to respond to me at firstname.lastname@example.org with a mailing address, or I will choose a new winner.
- If a second winner fails to respond, the book automatically goes to the lovely members of my face-to-face book club.
- Previous giveaway winners are welcome to enter.
- Finally, if at all possible, please comment below only if you're entering the giveaway.