Well, I don't like to dwell on my personal life here, but I just participated in an exciting Twitter discussion where I claimed to be a book blogger. So I, uh, thought I should blog something, starting with a brief explanation of some stuff I've been up to:
- Most notably, I am in the process of a major cross-country move. That involves packing up a lot of books and a lot of everything else. Briefly, my San Francisco apartment is going into storage, and I'm entering a (hopefully brief) nomadic period. I'll be spending time in DC and NY in the next few weeks, and then back to SF later this summer through August. After that, I'm not sure, but you may assume it will be a very literate city. ;-) Blogging will resume a more regular schedule in the near future.
- I mentioned above that I'm Tweeting these days. Remember when I used to do Mailbox Monday? Well, it's a whole lot easier to just Tweet when new books arrive. Or when I post a review somewhere. Or just a quick update on what I'm reading. Please feel free to follow me at SusanTunis on Twitter.
- Did a stranger hand you a free book on Monday night? That's because it was World Book Night! The US participatedA Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving, which happens to be my very favorite book of all time. What a thrill! I had a great time accosting commuters as I myself was crossing San Francisco. I felt a little like a freak as I shouted about free books to disinterested people, but it was really fantastic to give out books to the people who were really into it. Here's a photo of one happy customer. (I love that her clothes match my blog, LOL.) My favorite was a young man from Argentina, who couldn't believe there were no strings attached to the gift. After I gave him the book, he asked, "Okay, what do I have to do now?" I explained that all he had to do was read it and enjoy it. He was delighted, and will be practicing reading in English.
- hear him speak in Washington, DC in two weeks. This is the perfect way to jumpstart a life on a different coast. I've heard him speak many times before, but he's awesome and I worship him. I can't believe I haven't read the forthcoming book, In One Person yet! Yay for John Irving! Boo hiss for Simon & Schuster publicity!
- On the other hand, I've had the pleasure of catching "Author Guy" Christopher Moore on tour for Sacre Bleu twice, and videotaping him each time. I promised him that I'd wait for the book tour to end before posting, but that video and several others will be posted in the near future, I promise.
- What else? Well, since I'll be on the East Coast, I'll likely be attending BookExpo America again this year (but maybe not the Book Blogger Con), and of course Thrillerfest in July. I haven't missed one yet. Oh, and I attended my first ever Left Coast Crime about a month ago in Sacramento. It was great to see so many author friends and to make several new ones!