For first-time visitors to this blog, I'll mention that there's a new giveaway here most Wednesdays. I call it the "Humpday Giveaway." This blog covers all different types of books, so you never know what will be up for grabs from week to week. Additionally you'll find book reviews, author interviews, guest blogger posts, literary gossip, and more. I invite you to look around while you're here, and please do visit again. Now, here's this week's offering:
In this mesmerizing portrait of the Nazi capital, Larson plumbs a far more diabolical urban cauldron than in his bestselling The Devil in the White City. He surveys Berlin, circa 1933–1934, from the perspective of two American naïfs: Roosevelt's ambassador to Germany, William Dodd, an academic historian and Jeffersonian liberal who hoped Nazism would de-fang itself (he urged Hitler to adopt America's milder conventions of anti-Jewish discrimination), and Dodd's daughter Martha, a sexual free spirit who loved Nazism's vigor and ebullience. At first dazzled by the glamorous world of the Nazi ruling elite, they soon started noticing signs of its true nature: the beatings meted out to Americans who failed to salute passing storm troopers; the oppressive surveillance; the incessant propaganda; the intimidation and persecution of friends; the fanaticism lurking beneath the surface charm of its officialdom. Although the narrative sometimes bogs down in Dodd's wranglings with the State Department and Martha's soap opera, Larson offers a vivid, atmospheric panorama of the Third Reich and its leaders, including murderous Nazi factional infighting, through the accretion of small crimes and petty thuggery.I've got several shiny, new hardback copies of this book, so we're going to do the same thing we did a couple of weeks ago. The more people that enter this contest, the more copies I'll give away. If ten people enter, I'll give away one copy; twenty people, two copies; and so on, up to a maximum of five copies. Other than that, the usual rules apply:
- The giveaway is open to anyone with a U.S. mailing address ('cause I'm footing the postage).
- To enter, all you need to do is post a comment below by Wednesday, June 29, 2011.
- At my discretion, if there are less than five respondents, I can cancel or extend the giveaway.
- Winner(s) will be chosen by me with the help of a random number generator, and will be announced in the comments section of this thread.
- Please check back to see if you've won. If you have left a way to contact you, I will do so.
- The winner has one week to respond to me at email@example.com with a mailing address, or I will choose a new winner.
- If a second winner fails to respond, the book automatically goes to the lovely members of my face-to-face book club.
- Previous giveaway winners are welcome to enter.
- Finally, if at all possible, please comment below only if you're entering the giveaway.
List with all the Participants: