Monday, May 9, 2011

Mailbox Monday: The on time for a change edition


So, this is hysterical.  You may have noticed that I post a different mailbox each Monday.  (I really liked last Monday's patinated copper mailboxes though.  If I ever decide to stick with one image, it's a contender.)  Anyway, as I look over the potential photos each week, I see examples of all kinds of crazy, clever boxes.  This week, I acquired a shark book, so I thought it would be fun to Google "shark mailbox."  Who knew there would be dozens for me to choose from?  I feel compelled to post several.  If I ever own a home, I'm definitely investing in a shark mailbox.

The good news this week is that I didn't purchase a single book.  Not a book sale.  Didn't use my Audible.com credit.  Not so much as a Kindle freebie.  These all came from outside sources.  And I'm not complaining, because some really excellent books showed up this week.  It really is kind of fun to check the mail at my home and office.





Demon Fish: Travels Through the Hidden World of Sharks
by Juliet Eilperin
Release date: 6/14/2011
Source: Paper galley from Amazon Vine program

I love sharks.  Once upon a time I worked in the laboratory of a world-renowned shark researcher.  I've studied them; dived with them.  I've been fascinated with these magnificent creatures my whole life.  And reading that squid book recently reminded me how much I truly love the subject of marine biology, which at one time I wanted to make my career.  I'm really delighted to have the opportunity to read and review this book.  And look, it's out just in time for beach reading season!

The Wise Man's Fear (Kingkiller Chronicles, Day 2)
by Patrick Rothfuss
Release date: 3/1/2011
Source: CD audiobook from Amazon Vine program

So, I don't know how I missed Rothfuss's much-lauded debut, The Name of the Wind, four years ago, but I did.  Fantasy isn't really my "thing."  Anyway, with the recent publication of this second book in the trilogy, I've heard too many emphatically good things about this author from too many respected people to ignore.  Only problem is that the first book, currently sitting unread on my Kindle is 600+ pages, and this one is over a 1,000!  For that reason, when Amazon offered me the opportunity to review the 43-hour audiobook, I thought, Why not?  Don't look for a review anytime soon.  But I'm good with that.  If it takes me four years to read the first 1,700 pages of the series, I'll be done just about on time for the publication of the conclusion.  You call it procrastination, I call it planning ahead.

The Map of Time
by Felix J. Palma
Release date: 6/28/2011
Source: Paper galley from publisher

Remember one second ago when I said that fantasy isn't really my "thing"?  Well, forget that.  Here's another 600+ page monster that I can't wait to dive into!  It's a time travel epic starring H.G. Wells as the protagonist, and it looks really, really cool!  It was translated, incidentally, from the author's native Spanish.  He's written lots of short stories, but I believe this is his first novel.  When the man decides to go long form, he really goes long form!

The Time Machine
by H.G. Wells
Release date: 1895
Source: Paper galley from publisher

So many galleys pass through my hands; I love it when a publisher does something clever like this: The novel above was packaged with a bonus copy of H.G. Wells' original which inspired it.  So that all the readers could bone up on the source material.  I haven't read this novel in decades, and it's so invitingly short, I will now surely do exactly that before embarking on the longer work.  Great marketing!

Noah Barleywater Runs Away
by John Boyne
Release date: 5/10/2011
Source: Paper galley from publisher

I noticed immediately that this middle reader novel was written by the same author who wrote The Boy in the Striped Pajamas.  This looks like a very different type of story, with several cute illustrations salted through the text.  But this book isn't for me.  I don't know if I've ever mentioned it here, but my friend and former boss Theopia works at Children's Hospital in Oakland.  At her suggestion, I'm gathering children's books for different ages that can be put out in the waiting rooms with labels inviting the kids to take home any book they start reading.

Never Knowing
by Chevy Stevens
Release date: 7/5/2011
Source: Paper galley from the publisher

For some reason two copies of this book arrived, both with the same mistakes in the address label.  Uh, thanks, St. Martins.  I'm not complaining.  I was interested in reading Stevens well-reviewed debut, Still Missing, last year, but never got around to it.  I'm pretty sure I've heard good things about this one, too.  I'm looking forward to reading it.  And guess what?  I smell a Humpday Giveaway!

A Time for Patriots
by Dale Brown
Release date: 5/10/2011
Source: Finished hardback from the publisher

I've never read Dale Brown.  I love thrillers, but his always seem a little macho for me.  Maybe I'll read a few chapters of this one and see what I think.  Any of you big Brown fans?

Graveminder
by Melissa Marr
Release date: 5/17/2011
Source: Paper galley from publisher

I was somewhat underwhelmed by Marr's YA phenom, Wicked Lovely.  Nonetheless, there's a reasonably good chance that I'll give this a read.  I'm not a big fan of these supernatural tales, but if this novel takes off, which it looks like it has the potential to do, I'll want to see what everyone else is reading. 

You're Next
by Gregg Hurwitz
Release date: 7/5/2011
Source: Paper galley from the publisher

I've been reading and a fan of Greg Hurwitz since very early in his career.  Among other things, I really like that he writes mostly stand alone novels.  The description of this one isn't the most exciting, but I have a lot of faith in his ability to entertain.


Books finished in the past week:

Love You More by Lisa Gardner

Bellwether by Connie Willis

The Skeleton Key by James Rollins (a novella)

Sweet Jiminy by Kristen Gore




Currently reading:

The Tragedy of Arthur by Arthur Phillips


One more note, I have to LOL.  My blog spiked huge this weekend when I wrote about Hugh Jackman.  Clearly A-list Hollywood stars are a bigger draw than books.  But, I'm back on track with the books, so I expect the new readers will be gone as quick as they came.  It was nice while it lasted!  Look out for new reviews this week.  :-)

4 comments:

  1. So many great sharp mail boxes! And whatever your own mail box looks like, it had some great books coming in.

    I think the time travel book sounds good, I always enjoy tt. Not sure about John Boyne. Liked the Payamas, but I'm not sure I need more of his work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really curious about The Map of Time. You'll have to let us know how it is!

    This week I'm reading Opa Nobody by Sonya Huber. Ms. Huber is going to be one of the authors presenting at this year's New Directions Conference and Dahlonega Literary Festival

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, so many good books! And as hard as I try, there's never enough time to read them all.

    And April, thanks for the reminder about the New Directions conference! I meant to write back to you! Is it too late for me to pass the info you sent on? (Sorry, I'm so easily distracted.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nope, it's not too late. The deadline for the call for papers isn't until June something and the Conference itself is in November. So there's still plenty of time.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete