Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Holy crap! Stephen King is writing a sequel to The Shining!



Seriously, did everybody know this but me?

Mr. King was receiving an award at George Washington University on Friday night when he he began discussing his forthcoming novel, Dr. Sleep.  It is a sequel to The Shining about a now 40-ish Danny Torrance.  Yes, the little kid that went "Redrum" in the novel.  You may hear King discuss the novel in the video below.  (I didn't shoot this film, but it made me feel better about the lousy footage I do shoot for you guys, LOL.  But thanks to "zoidsmith69" for sharing the scoop!)




Wikipedia sez:
On November 19, 2009, while on a promotional tour in Toronto, Canada for his latest novel Under the Dome, during a reading at the Canon Theatre being moderated by the filmmaker David Cronenberg, Stephen King described to the audience an idea for a sequel novel to his 1977 novel The Shining. The story, King said, would follow a character from the original novel, Danny Torrance, now in his 40s, living in upstate New York, where he works as an orderly at a hospice and helps terminally ill patients pass away with the aid of some extraordinary powers.[2] Later, on December 1, 2009, Stephen King posted a poll on his official website, asking visitors to vote for which book he should write next, Dr. Sleep or the next Dark Tower novel:
I mentioned two potential projects while I was on the road, one a new Mid-World book (not directly about Roland Deschain, but yes, he and his friend Cuthbert are in it, hunting a skin-man, which are what werewolves are called in that lost kingdom) and a sequel to The Shining called Dr. Sleep. Are you interested in reading either of these? If so, which one turns your dials more? [We] will be counting your votes (and of course it all means nothing if the muse doesn't speak).[3]
Voting ended on December 31, 2009, and it was revealed that Dr. Sleep received 5,861 votes, while The Wind Through the Keyhole received 5,812.[4]
On September 23, 2011, Stephen King received the Mason Award at the Fall for the Book event at the George Mason University in Fairfax, Virginia, during which he read an excerpt from Dr. Sleep[5] King's official site confirmed three days later that King is currently working on the novel.
There's always something new to look forward to, huh?

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this, Susan. I'd heard rumors about both the Shining sequel and the new Mid-World book but hadn't heard anything concrete. I love Stephen King!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been reading Mr. King since the 70's, and when I was a kid, he was one of my two favorites. (I think the other was Clive Cussler.) I got away from reading King for about a decade, but in recent years I've come back and rediscovered my appreciation for his work. I especially loved Under the Dome, and I can't wait to get my hands on 11/22/63!

    The Mid-World books, are those the ones with Roland? I never read any of them, thought I have the first one waiting in my house. Isn't that series done?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, the Dark Tower series is done. The idea he'd thrown around was doing another book that took place in that world but wasn't part of the series itself.

    I started reading him when I was a teen and have been a huge fan ever since. Back when I was a bookseller my coworkers would laugh any time anyone came in asking about SK because they knew I'd get super excited and talk the customer's ear off. I've loved all of his new stuff -- Duma Key and Lisey's Story were particular favorites of mine recently. I've already preordered 11/22/63 and can't wait til it comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I've already preordered 11/22/63 and can't wait til it comes out."


    Uh, if by "preorder" you mean "begged the publisher to send me a galley," yeah, I've done that. No response. :-(

    But thanks for the info on Mid-World, Becky!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! Yeah, I don't bother hoping for ARCs of King's stuff. In fact, the last semi-ARC I remember seeing was the first chapter pamphlet of Dreamcatcher when I worked at Waldenbooks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the 'King'....I have lost many a night's sleep reading his books. I have finally started reading the Dark Tower books. I've also preordered 11/22/63 after reading an excerpt.

    ReplyDelete