- The Jack Kilborn book giveaway was so much fun! Thanks again to everyone who participated, and congratulations to Kristal, Amy, Mihir, Ellen, and Emily. I hope you guys enjoy the novel, and I'd love it if you'd share your thoughts after reading it. (Don't blame me if it gives you nightmares!)
- I still hurt bad. Yes, I did break my nose, but the doctor says it's very straight and they don't have to do anything further. It will heal on it's own. I am definitely looking much better than a week ago. Better than you are imagining. But, for now, we can all enjoy my photo on this blog page. My friend David took that shot. Best. Nose. Shot. Ever.
- Yesterday was Vine targeted newsletter day! No, I did not get offered the super high-end camcorder like some, but I scored nonetheless. As you know, I mostly choose books each month. This month I managed to snag the DVD of a movie I've been dying to see, ever since I just missed it in the theaters. It's Last Chance Harvey, starring (my fave) Dustin Hoffman and Emma Thompson. Equally exciting, I snagged a galley of The Girl Who Played with Fire. It's the sequel of the wonderful Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Swedish novelist Stieg Larsson. Free gifts like this do help cheer an invalid up. I can't wait to dive into both!
- The only small disappointment from the newsletter was having to pass up a galley of Jimbo's next novel, The Doomsday Key. I'm sorry, Jimbo! The other items were too good to resist. But I am 1/4 of the way throught the Doomsday Key MS you sent, and I'm loving it. I'm so grateful you're such a prolific writer. Jake Ransom got me through the asthma attack, and now Doomsday Key will see me through another tough time. I'm really looking forward to Alter of Eden in the fall, but I fear for my health!
- I maligned Glen David Gold's second novel, Sunnyside. I wrote a long post about how disappointed I was in the first 150 pages and put it aside for a while. Well, sometimes a break is all you need. I had picked it up again a couple of weeks ago and breezed through another 100 pages with fresh and more appreciative eyes. I was making progress, and then I fell and hurt myself again. Sunnyside isn't really light reading to go with a side of Vicodin, so it's on hold again. I will finish it eventually!
Friday, May 22, 2009
Updates on everything...
So, lot's of stuff going on over here in Susanland. Lot's to update: