Thursday, April 23, 2009

Yahoo-oooo!!!

OMG, freebies are so much fun! Today is my Amazon Vine leftover newsletter day, and for the first time ever they let us choose four items instead of two! It's so hard to pick just two out of about 200 items. Here are the four I chose:

Fragment: A Novel by Warren Fahy

Okay, since the moment I heard about it, I have been dying to read this novel. One reviewer described it as "the love child of James Rollins, Michael Crichton, and Al Gore." Seriously, what's not to love? It got a starred review in PW, and so far it seems to be getting raves. This sort of trashy science thriller is so up my alley it's not even funny. Oh, and debut novelist Fahy has some really cool stuff over on his website: http://www.warrenfahy.com/. Don't forget to check out more fragments... for more cool artwork and creature animations.



Last week I selected a novel called Tomato Rhapsody: A Fable of Love, Lust & Forbidden Fruit basically because it sounded "happy." As it happened, when it arrived on Monday it looked so appealing, I couldn't resist tossing aside the weighty (literally and figuratively) Sunnyside and diving in immediately. And you know what? It's charming, and it does make me happy while I'm reading it. So, Hothouse Flower is chosen for the same reason. It sounds like a light, fun happy book, with a little adventure and romance on the side. Plus, it got a starred review in PW, and is one of Amazon's picks for summer.



The Devlin Diary by Christi Phillips

This one also got a starred review in PW. I don't always agree with or understand why certain books receive the honor, but it's still something that carries a lot of weight with me. This is one of those thrillers that jumps back and forth between the past (London circa 1672) and the present (Cambridge in 2008) and it's a style I tend to enjoy.

Running from the Devil: A Novel by Jamie Freveletti
Okay, this is yet another thriller. There's a reason. I now owe reviews on about 14 novels. It's getting ridiculous! If there's a hope for me to ever catch up, I need to put down the 600-page literary tomes, and read and crank out reviews on some fun, light weight, fast-paced fiction. There's a method to my madness. Anyway, this one didn't get a starred review in PW, but it's been getting raves from my fellow Viners. It's Freveletti's debut, and I love giving those a chance. So, we shall see...


These should keep me busy for a few weeks. Thank goodness I've got four weeks until the next newsletter comes out. I can't wait to dive into these books!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Susan

    Varied Picks these four!!! Fragment seems to be the one which looks to be the simplest read.

    Also of you like the timesplit stories then this should be of interest to you, Michael Crichton's last novel is to be published posthumously, so that could be a book for you to review as well whenever it comes out & It involves 16th century pirates.

    ReplyDelete