Monday, April 9, 2012

When Brad met Hilary...


Full disclosure: I've never read Brad Parks or Hilary Davidson.  I mean, jeez, I can't read everybody

Hilary has just published her second mystery featuring travel writer Lily Moore, The Next One to Fall.  She originally landed on my radar for a variety of reasons.  I'm not sure if she came to my attention first as a member of the ITW Debut Author Class of 2010/2011 (of which Brad is also a member), or based on the rave reviews of her debut novel, The Damage Done.  Regardless, she made an impression, and I've been meaning to get around to reading her ever since.  And with a backlist of only two novels, there's a chance I actually will.

Brad, on the other hand, I know exactly when he came on my radar.  It was at the debut author breakfast at Thrillerfest a couple of years ago.  That breakfast is one of my favorite parts of the conference.  It's a great opportunity to get introduced, in their own words, to future favorite authors.  Also, it's just good fun, as each author attempts to outshine those who came before.  That year, it was definitely Brad Parks that everyone was talking about.  The man spent his two minutes launching into a full-on serenade of novelist Brad Meltzer with re-worked lyrics to the tune of "Maria" from West Side Story.  And he hasn't stopped singing since.
Nor, has he stopped publishing.  Brad has now released three comic mysteries featuring New Jersey investigative journalist Carter Ross.  The first was Faces of the Gone, followed by Eyes of the Innocent.  Now he's back with The Girl Next Door, and as you'll hear in the video below, there are at least two more novels in this series already in the pipeline.

Now, I don't know either of these writers well, but we travel in the same circles in the conference circuit and our paths cross once or twice a year.  It's clear that the two of them have become good friends on that same circuit, so it's fun to enjoy the mutual admiration society of their joint event.  They can sing each other's praises far better than I can.  (In Brad's case, literally.  And for those who are curious, he did sing at Book Passage, but just to kill time before the talk officially started.  Alas, I shot no video.  The link above will have to suffice.)

I'm just going to post the video in sequence below.  After introducing each other and making opening remarks, Hilary reads first, and then Brad.  After that, they pose a few questions to each other, and then open things up to the audience.  The last thing I'll mention is that I really need to apologize to Brad and all of you.  But mostly to Brad.  I positioned myself to film someone speaking at microphone at the podium.  As you'll see, they eschew it.  I finally repositioned myself when it was time for Brad to read, but before that, there's a lot of awkward trying to shoot around that pesky mike.  That's amateurs for you!  Hopefully those of you who were not fortunate enough to catch these two on book tour will still enjoy.






















No comments:

Post a Comment